Monday 25 June 2007

Varsity's Beckoning...

Hi all, been a long time since I updated my site, like some people have been telling me... =< Well, been busy lately (as you will see in a while) and besides my quite considerable store of anime is being 'updated'. In other words, I am hurrying to read and watch as much anime before I depart to a place where Streamyx is not available... University, that is... Hehehe.... Well, shall I start with what some of you may already know, my placement in the Malaysian public universities? This period of time is one of the uplifting periods of my life, and also one of the most draining...

Well, it began on last Monday, when I got up as usual (12-ish, mind you...=>) and checked the online site of the MOHE (Ministry of Higher Education) website for changes... Nope, nothing there... And not an hour later, Yeong Tai called me with an urgent question... (editedfor flavour, LOLZ)

"Hoi, wat did u get?"

"Huh?"

"IPTA (Malay acronym for public universities) lar!"

"WAT? Just checked wat! Nothing mar..."

"Go n check again lar! Got dy!"

Hurried again to the website, whereupon I discovered a new link to the website where you find out what course you got, and where. Huh, angka giliran? Oh that... Where is my STPM cert again (!)... Oh ok...

Then I saw it, in bold letters:


TAHNIAH! Anda telah berjaya ditawarkan program seperti berikut :
PERUBATAN (DOKTOR PERUBATAN)
UNIVERSITI KEBANGSAAN MALAYSIA
And my mind went..... what? Anyway, not funny, I know. What WAS funny was the fee structure... I also applied for Medicine in IMU, and the total fee due to that prestigious university was a whopping total of RM 333,000.00 . *jaw drops* And here, my father and I burst out laughing when we saw the total fee due for UKM : RM14,000.00 (or something around that). That was a difference of, what, 300,000 ringgit? Looks like my dad will be able to afford a new Mercedes with the money saved.... MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....
Anyway, the website for UKM was slightly strange as well. When accessed, they will ask you for their answer to the offer, online. The problem was, if you accepted the offer using the fields there (didn't try rejecting it, I won't cut off my head unneccessarily, alright!?) and you refreshed the page, you will STILL see the same fields there, asking the exact same thing... Hopefully it dosen't matter THAT much....
And today was the tiring day. Now, the background. Yesterday I was in JB, seeing my granddad for what was going to be the last time in a very, very LONG while (don't ask about it, I won't be seeing freedom in the form of holidays anytime soon). Then Yeong Tai messaged me, telling me that tonight Vincent Ki was calling for a 'la teh' session (little did I know that the occassion was his birthday... Happy birthday, Vincent... Again...) at 9 pm. Made it back at 10.30, and rushed there to chat and swap stories around. Then, of all people, Chee Kim appeared. Nothing against him, but sessions with him around, in my experience, turn out to be all-nighters as we laugh and laugh and laugh at his cannonades at all manner of subjects, mostly off-colour. As expected, we went home at about 2 in the morning, when the proprietor started looking, no glaring at us... Did I mention that the 8 of us drank a total of RM 9 in tea and such (all paid for by the birthday boy, of course. Thanks Vincent). I think our faces will be on the blacklist of the shop very soon...
And the next day, business as usual... Or maybe not. At 6 - sends siblings to school. Around 7 - reaches home and plonks on the bed again. 7.30 - wakes up to wash-up and head to the outpatient clinic along Jalan Kluang for the clinical check-up required by the university. Get the picture? Not to mention that when I got there the place was packed, and I had 2 and a half hours of running to one counter, running to the opposite counter to pay for the urine and X-ray tests, running back to the urine counter, and a whole lot of waiting around doing absolutely nothing. Actually, the latter accounted for 80% of the time I spent there. And after getting a light breakfst and dozing for a few minutes in my dad's office, sped to the other side of town to get the X-ray done. Yet another bout of waiting here, though here the lines moved noticably faster due to the speed of the X-ray machine, though the snag was the girls requiring an extra 3 minutes each to remove clothing that matter (my guess is even an X-ray can't go through so many layers of cloth) and get their rays done. No offense, just an observation. Sorry girls. =p
Anyway, after getting the X-ray, sped back to the outpatient clinic to get inspected by the doctor, FINALLY! yeap, good question. But don't ask me why, I have no idea... Well, finished EVERYTHING at 4.15 pm (my mom helped with the payment of the initial fees), 7 hours of waiting (almost!) with only 3 hours of sleep and a light breakfast in between. Came back in time to send Malcolm off to tuition and to crash for 2 hours of peaceful sleep on the couch... Ah, bliss.... Finally.... ZZZZzzzZZZZzzZZZZZ...

No comments: