Wednesday 21 March 2007

Calm Before A Storm

It has been some time now that I have been lazing around, having obtained my results and applying for any suitable scholarships and education institutions available. Now that I have exhausted all applications that I have thought of, now comes a lull where I basically sit back with nothing to do, waiting for the next application to come, before the madness begins anew. This is, in effect, the calm before the storm. (For those that are ready to accuse me of not working during this few months, I would have you know that I have, to an extent, run out of tasks to do as an office boy : apparently I have taken care of work that has lasted the regular staff 2 years, in only 2 weeks. =p)

Now perhaps it is time to set to pondering and being thoroughly philosophical as to my situation. In a former post, I have mentioned a few things that could have been termed the biggest storm and 'aftershocks' of my life, to date. Well, at least I have time to catch my breath before the next wave comes.

This puts me in mind of many books I have read that mentioned storms during sea travel. During the storms, the captain is always shouting orders everywhere, the first mate is whipping up the crew and all aboard are holding on for their lives. During these times, the ship is tossed, masts are broken, sails are ripped and all objects not 'battened down' become extremely dangerous, flying to and fro at terrifying speeds. Storms also have a way of trying to break the whole ship in two by slamming the ship against the waves. After the storm, however, is a different story altogether. That is when the true extent of damage to the ship is revealed. However, that is also when the crew begins to busy themselves, fixing the mast as best as they can, putting up spare sails, repair damange to the hull and securing the cargo. The captain and the navigator are also hard at work, determining how far the ship was blown off-course and planning the next step.

In two different scenarios, a few things are clear : the ship cannot survive without some certain people. The crew, for example. Without the crew attempting to protect the ship, the ship's chances of survival will be severely limited, to the extent of being non-existent. The crew is important, for without hard work and cooperation, the ship is as good as done for. That goes the same way for the calm, if the ship is not repaired during the calm, the next storm will finish what the last one started. More importantly : the captain. A ship without a captain is a piece of driftwood. The captain is the symbol of discipline and order of the ship. Minus the captain, the crew will be running into each other, putting input into places that are not important, forgetting the important areas of the ship and generally causing confusion, bringing the ship to an early death. The captain is in charge of giving orders beneficial to the ship and its crew, and to ensure the ship stays on course as far as possible. It is said that a good captain goes down together with the ship, which is in effect saying that a good captain puts his heart and soul into making sure his ship stays afloat.

Now, there are many who have been excellent captains, such as Admiral Horatio Nelson of England, who was instrumental in England's navy defense a long time ago, but all pale in comparison to the great Captain of all creation, God. Our lives are a vessel, the crew is our values and beliefs, and God is our captain. In letting Him take over the wheel, we can rest assured, for God's navigational skills are beyond compare. Steering the ship to the right course is His joy. Though sometimes there may be storms, He will lead you through it, and He never will be lost on foreign waters, for He made them all. He will prepare you for the next storm, and will look after you until you reach the bright harbour of Heaven.

And that is where I am, sailing in the calm right now, with my beloved Captain at the helm, trusting in Him to guide me and to direct my heart and movements in such a way that no storms will be able to overcome my life. No matter how many times I face a storm, God is there to help me break through, till I anchor fast upon the heavenly shore, with the storms all past forevermore.

No comments: